Valhallen (27.5″+ Trail Hardtail)
While most of Soma frames have been designed for multi-use and with thought to backwards compatibility with legacy technology, the Valhallen is a thoroughly modern hardtail built only to exceed at fun on the trails. A long and slack geometry matched with plus sized tires means riders can conquer a wider variety of terrain with control and confidence.
- Tange Prestige heat-treated CrMo steel tubing; butted CrMo rear end
- Fits tires up to 27.5 x 3.25" for enhanced traction and control
- Compatible with 140mm travel suspension
- Compatible with Boost cranks and 148mm spaced thru-axle hubs which offer better stiffness than 135mm hubs and more clearance for plus size tires
- Post-style disc mount
- 31.6mm seatpost fit opens up more choices for dropper posts (internal routing at seat tube)
- Press fit 30 BB shell, which allows for use with standard PF30 BB's or for single speed with an eccentric BB converter
- Machined 44mm headtube (fits tapered steerer tubes using a ZS top assembly and 40.EC44 external cup lower assembly; fits 1-1/8" steerers using a ZS44 headset)
- Colors: Candy Apple Green or Hyper Gray Metallic
- Sizes: Small (405mm), Medium(435mm), Large(470mm), X-Large(510mm)
Valhallen (27.5″+ Trail Hardtail)
What is so special about 27.5 Plus and why does it need Boost standard?
27.5 Plus are currently used to describe 27.5" (650b) MTB tires in widths 2.8 to 3.25" Because of their large contact patch and circumference, they offer notably more control and traction than standard width 27.5" tires and 29"tires. They also roll over obstacles better. The optimal rims for these tires have internal widths of 35 to 50mm.
With tires in the 2.8" and above range, on a standard MTB double the chain can come very close or contact the tire. The Boost 148 hub standard and Boost crank standard pushes the chainline out to create more clearance and it does so without using a fatbike 100mm BB shell. The rear hub spacing 148mm wide and arguably could create a stiffer rear wheel and improve handling. The Valhallen requires Boost rear hubs and cranks. The front fork hub standard is up to you, since we do not include a fork.
Can the Valhallen be built to run single speed?
To run the Valhallen single speed, you need to run an eccentric bottom bracket design to fit PF30 BB shells (such as Problem Solvers EC46. You would need to run 24mm axle crank with threaded BB, instead of a PressFit30 crankset. Note how you position your crank in the Eccentric BB will effect your bottom bracket height slightly.
What are the component specifications?
- Machined 44mm headtube (fits tapered steerer tubes using a ZS top assembly and 40.EC44 external cup lower assembly;
fits 1-1/8" steerers using a ZS44 headset)
- Seatpost size: 31.6mm (400mm length recommended, compatible with internal routed dropper posts)
- Seat Collar size: 34.9mm (not included)
- Front derailleur: 34.9mm, bottom pull, low clamp or e-type. other styles and larger chainrings may interfere with dropper post line port).
- Bottom bracket shell: 73mm wide, PressFit 30 (46mm ID)
- Tire clearance: 27.5 x 3.2"
- Rear hub style: Boost 12x148mm thru axle (thru-axle QR included)
- Rear dropouts: Replaceable alloy 12mm thru-axle)
- Cranksets: Boost format single or double
- Chainring clearance: 36/22T double
- Fork compatibility: Ready for 140mm travel fork; ideal rigid fork should be 480-486mm with 47mm of rake
- Disc Brake Compaitbility: Post mount, 160mm rotor
- Two sets of bottle bosses
- No eyelets for rear rack or fender mounting.